Friday, December 5, 2008

High School Books

What's the difference between a book termed "high school" and a middle school book? Make Lemonade by Virginia Euwer Wolff is termed as a "high school" book. Yet, its sequel is on the middle school shelf. Yes, Make Lemonade is about a teenage mother of two struggling to pay the rent and pay for diapers and the girl named Lavaugn that comes to babysit for her so that she could work. OH MY GOD TEEN PREGNANCY don't want the little middle schoolers reading that! Yet, they let the book Doormat on the middle school shelf? That is also about a FIFTEEN year old girl getting pregnant. And you know what, when the middle schoolers come up to the high school they won't have to read a book to get exposed to Teen Pregnancy, they'll see it everywhere. We have double the amount of pregnancies we did last year. So what does that say about Northern Lebanon? I don't blame the girls and I don't blame the guys, I blame them both because it takes two to make a baby. One of my best friends, Jamie, had a baby a month ago, I already told you this I know, and I also put up pictures of her. Another one of my friends thinks she might be pregnant. It just blows me away and some of these girls you wouldn't even expect it of! I never expected that of Jamie but I didn't blow her off because she was because I love Jamie and I love her baby and I even like the father. Jamie is an unusual story because usually the teen father leaves but David loves Alaina and Jamie. He's a good father and Jamie is a good mother. And Alaina is a good baby.



Ok, sorry for the rant, I just needed to get that out of my system.

No comments: